Cathy Scott, CPF
Cathy first started working for a frame shop in the south hills of Pittsburgh when she and her husband had a daughter in 1986.
They built their home in the western part of Pittsburgh in 1991 on property near the family dairy farm. Cathy obtained her Certified Picture Framer (CPF) designation in October 2007 and was recertified in 2011. Currently, she is serving as the Vice President of the Allegheny Chapter of Professional Picture Framers Association (PPFA).
Cathy lives with her husband Jeff, and their yellow Lab Annabelle, her assistant.
Cathy enjoys cooking and gardening in her free time.
Serving the art and framing community worldwide since 1971, the Professional Picture Framers Association™ (PPFA®) encourages artisans to hone the time-honored skill of custom framing.
About the Farm
Haw Thicket is located on farmland in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The property was purchased in 1794 and christened "Haw Thicket" by its original owner, Thomas Hannah, a Revolutionary War veteran. It was customary in those days to give a name to their “plantations,” as farms were called at that time. A “haw” is a small upright shrub having frosted dark-blue fruit. Through the years Haw Thicket has changed owners. Ella Scott King and her husband, Carvel, purchased the farm in the early 1900's. The present Scott owners are her great nephews.
Adjacent to Haw Thicket is another land grant patented under the name Scratchwell. A patent, part of the process of owning land in the 1700’s, was granted from the Commonwealth passing clear title to the owner, or warrantee of the land to private ownership. Alexander McCandless and his wife Jenny emigrated from Scotland via Ireland in 1771 and settled here. The maternal and paternal ancestors of the Scott family were early pioneers of Moon Township.
The Scott Lineage
The family lineage began with Joseph Scott, a Scotch-Irish immigrant born in 1731 who served in the Revolutionary War. The present family is named Scott because it descended to the female line when Margaret McCandless married Charles Scott, a grandson of Joseph, from “Scott Station”.
The Dairy Farm
The Scott Dairy farm was designated a Bicentennial Farm in June of 2016 by the Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. It is the only remaining dairy farm in Allegheny County.